Now that Spring is around the corner, I discovered in O Magazine a great recipe for, “Blood Orange and Avocado Salsa with Pomegranate Seeds”, which is AMAZING, low in calories, and healthy too!
Ingredients: 1 tbs. fresh lime juice from 1 lime, 1 tsp. kosher or sea salt, 1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper, 6 blood oranges. 1 pomegranate (Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s & some gourmet markets sells the seeds ready to go fyi.), 1 large Haas avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, 2/3 cup of diced red onion, 1 jalapeno chili (seeds and ribs removed) minced, 2 green onions (including green tops cut into diagonal thin slices), & 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
1. Remove all of the skin and pith and seeds from the blood oranges, reserving any juice that is squeezed in the process. Drain juice into a measuring cup and set aside. Cut orange segments into 1/2 inch pieces and add to a mixing bowl containing the lime juice.
2. Extract the seeds from the pomegranate, cut into quarters. Submerge the quarters in a large bowl of cold water and place it in the kitchen sink to prevent staining of the juice. Using your fingers gently detach the seeds. Blot on paper towels , then add to the orange lime juice mixture. (I say go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s for the seeds that are ready to go, but call before you go to see if they have them!)
3. Add the red onion, avocado, green onion, jalapeno, and cilantro to the orange mixture. Gently fold int ingredients together with a rubber spatula, and trying not to mash the avocados. Next add the reserved orange juice, 1 tbs at a time until the salsa is moist and not soupy. Taste to adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper, then transfer to a serving bowl, cover and set aside for an hour. (It makes about 4 cups)
Serve with baked or regular tortilla chips.
Rachel Ray’s, “Sangria Spritzer Cocktail”
Ingredients: 2 tsp. of sugar, 1 orange seeded, 1 shot (good shot) brandy, 5-6 oz of Rioja wine, splash of lemon-lime club soda
1. Add sugar, 2 orange slices, and a good shot of brandy to a cocktail shaker.
2. Muddle together until the sugar os dissolved.
3. Add ice cubes to the shaker along with the Rioja wine.
4. Shake and strain into a martini glass and top with a splash of lemon-lime club soda, and garnish with orange slices. (Serves 1 person)
Cheers and have a great weekend!